Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Living with CP: the early years part 40.

I hope you all are having a wonderful Easter weekend. I'm working this weekend because this upcoming week I'm going to be somewhat busy so I don't know how many blog additions I will get done this week. In today's entry, I'm going to talk about how our vacations have had to change somewhat over the years as I got older. 

As you might think, when I was younger and smaller it was easier to go on vacation than when I got older.  This is because we could just fold up my manual wheelchair and put it in the back of the vehicle and go.  Also, if someone held me up under my arms I could walk a little. That means that if I wanted to get on an amusement ride or something on vacation, someone would just lift me on it.  It's the same way with swimming. Someone could just get in with me and we would swim. 

When I got older and heavier and I got my power chair, vacations became a little harder.  We had to take our vehicle with the lift on it and it became harder to get me out of my chair.  So whatever we did, I had to stay in my chair. I could not go swimming anymore unless the pool had the lift to help me get in and out of the water. 

You would think that with the ADA (the Americans with Disabilities Act) that became law in the 80's, I could go anywhere I wanted on vacation and not have to worry about anything but unfortunately that is not true.  I will explain what I mean in my next entry.  Maybe the next time you go on vacation you will know some helpful things to do before you go. 

Happy Easter, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone. There will be no new post until Wednesday, cause I have a busy few days. Also when you open my blog please click on the ads on the upper-right side of the page, and let the page load. That is also how I make money, have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete