Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Living with CP: the early years part 39.

Hello everyone.  In this entry I'm going to write about how I started to learn so much about a computer. 

One day when I was about 11 years old, my uncle Tom came over and he told my grandma “Brian should start working with a personal computer.  If he learns how to use one, it will open up a lot of opportunities for him to be able to write, communicate and even play games to help him learn.  If he learns how to use a computer, it will help him do many things and have more opportunities later.” 

My uncle Tom knows computers inside and out.  He can build them from the ground up.  The first computer that be built for me was just basically for games so I could get use to the basic operation of a computer and get used to working with a trackball since I could not use a mouse due to a very limited range of motion. 

The more I got used to things, he would show me more and more. Today, I can operate a computer with the best of them.  I have been able to get special equipment and software over the years to help me operate a computer as quickly as possible, because it takes me a much longer time to type.  I’ll write more about this in later entries. 

When you are handicapped, your main support is your family.  Many people assume you don't know anything because you are in a wheelchair. 

In my next entry see how our family vacations have had to change somewhat as I got older over the years.  

Have a great day everyone.    

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I work in North Carolina with a woman that has CP. Your blog is very informative and I appreciate your inside perspective! Sometimes I'm shy about asking what extra care I can give to her. Reading your thoughts and experiences has given me ideas on what I may be missing and what questions to ask. Thank you!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome, that is one reason I'm doing this blog. Check back often.

    ReplyDelete